On August 22nd Isaiah Ilya Becker was carried into his new home by his daddy. My "22nd" sign from God happened again. We got our travel date on June 22nd...met Isaiah for the first time on July 22nd (also Joey's b-day) and now he came home on Aug. 22nd.
We had a 29 hour travel day and while there were some moments of frustration Isaiah did really well. I'm sure he has NEVER EVER been held so much for so long. I used a sling instead of stroller and it worked out MUCH better than I had hoped. We went from Kiev, Ukraine to Munich, Germany to Chicago to Denver to Bismarck. I could not wait to get out of Germany. Things were so spendy in the airport after spending so much time in Ukraine and getting used to the cheaper living.
We flew into Bismarck around 11:40pm and were met by friends and family. Isaiah had been sleeping on the last flight but he woke up and greeted everyone with sweet smiles. Joey wanted NOTHING to do with him. He hung on to my neck very tightly and wouldn't look at anyone. We've been talking about Isaiah for 9 months and I think reality hit and Joey was probably thinking...this kid Isaiah is really here. When we got home Sunday afternoon Joey really started warming up to him. Maybe it was because he was in his own territory. Isaiah got hugs and kisses but of course Joey had to try out all the "new" baby toys we brought out from storage first and Joey had to sit in the high chair.
This morning we went to 9am mass in Bismarck then went out for breakfast with our good friends, The Larson's. They also have a 5 year old with Ds. After raising 5 babies you would think I experienced EVERYTHING possible with being a mom but Isaiah decided to "up one" on his new brothers. He had a HUGE blowout IN a Denny's highchair. I didn't realize it until I picked him up to go change him and saw the highchair and felt my whole arm covered in poopoo. I was NOT prepared. I took him into the bathroom and started cleanup. I kept praying for God to PLEASE send my friend Laura in to help as I couldn't leave to get help. Within a couple minutes she came to my rescue. I threw away his onesie and summer shorts. AND to make this worse the Denny's women's bathroom was a BUSY place but I just minded my own business and did what I had to do.
Noah is such a good brother. He JUST hollered from the living room..."Mom, don't worry about us...I'm just keeping these two "activated". LOL. Noah likes using big words but obviously doesn't always get the right one. I think he meant "occupied".
It feels like Isaiah has been living here for a long time other than trying to get his eating habits figured out and lots of reminders to NOT leave Isaiah up on beds/couch, keep the basement door closed, etc. He doesn't crawl but he does roll and slowly gets to places he wants.
Thanks to all who helped out in any way...for those who filled our fridge with food...to my mom for staying the whole week to take my place and all the catering to the boys she did...for all the thoughts and prayers that were being said for us. It is all so much appreciated. It is so nice to be done and home...safe and sound. We feel so blessed to have been given this opportunity. God is so good.
The day nothing changed
9 years ago






Steph and Darrell and family,
ReplyDeletecongratulations!! We are so happy for your family--that you are reunited at last. WE are so happy for Isaiah to have a loving family. God is good! I thank Him for giving us the privaledge of meeting you and hope that we can stay in touch and share our experiences. Please keep John and our girls and Lily and Joshua in your prayers as they wait to be able to come home...it feels like so long, and we're just praying for God's grace to help us through it.
Congratulations and Welcome Home! Love, the Burckhards
ReplyDeleteYIPPY!! I am soo excited for you and so glad you made it home to your family! I cant wait to hear more about Isaiah growing up!! congrats to you!!
ReplyDelete