Thursday, December 3, 2009

The day my adoption dream started...and how Joey came to be.

It all started back on November 21, 2001...the day Noah was born and he and I almost died. It was a VERY scary 2 days. I started bleeding at home 3 weeks before due date...BLEEDING...not spotting. I called my doctor and was told to call 911 immediately. Our hometown ambulance took me to the Hospital #1 (a small town hospital). I was NOT comfortable going there but they said I had no choice. I was examined and the "doctor" confirmed I was indeed bleeding....reeeeeally?? He talked about doing a c-section but there was no anesthesiologist there AND there was no donor blood either. I was determined IF I didn't get out of there I was going to die there...NOT a peaceful feeling. There was talk about the an air ambulance taking me to the hospital I wanted but I ended up getting onto the Hospital #1's ambulance and they transferred me to the Hospital #2 (a bigger hospital but no NICU)...farther yet from where I wanted to be. While in Hospital #2 they were able to significantly slow down the bleeding. Later I was then transferred by Hospital #2's ambulance to my hospital of choice.

Bleeding was stopped and labor was induced the next morning. That all went as planned but then after delivery I would not stop bleeding. Before I knew it I was signing a consent form for a possible hysterectomy and off to surgery they took me. I didn't get to hold Noah...he swallowed blood so he needed extra cares. When I awoke from surgery and realized I was alive and that Noah was alive and doing well, I told Darrell "NEVER again will I go through this...if we are going to have more kids it would be through adoption."

Through out the next few years I would mention adoption to the family but no one was on board with me. A few years later we tossed around the idea of having another baby but I always "chickened out" in fear of what happened with Noah. God made the decision for us and sent us Joey....TOTAL surprise!!! I trusted that He knew something we didn't and felt peace knowing He would protect me during that pregnancy. Although Joey was born with 2 special needs we embraced his whole being and smothered him with love. We feel so blessed and so lucky to have been given Joey. He has taught us so much in his short life and we look forward to whatever else he has to teach us. God indeed knew something we didn't.

"For I know well the plans I have in mind for you, says the Lord,
plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a future
full of hope." (Jeremiah 29:11)

"Your Father knows what you need before you ask Him." (Matthew 6:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment