Monday, August 16, 2010

We arrived in Nikolaev...once again.

Our flights started at 3:10pm from Bismarck...then to Chicago leaving at 8:50pm. We arrived in Munich at 12:15pm Sunday...aaaaaaand...we made the flight to Kiev as did our luggage!! We prayed before every flight mainly for safety but then also for God's will that he would allow us to use our time the best way possible but we were asking that if it was possible to let us have more time with the orphans vs. sitting in a hotel in another city doing nothing. Our luggage was some of the last to come through and we were trying not to get disappointed. We were also VERY thankful at this time that we even made it to Kiev. We experienced THE WORST turbulence I even had on that flight. We had just been given a meal and I was half done when the HORRIBLE turbulence started that I almost needed that handy dandy puke bag. Oh it was close....and it was so scary. I kept praying over and over to please not allow both Austin and I to go this way. Joey needs one of us. So 3 flights down...4 to go.

Our driver picked us up from airport and took us to train station to buy tickets and then we ate supper at McDonald's which was right beside train station. We had first class again but this time the train was older...and louder...and bumpier...and shakier. Austin slept good...me not so much...not because I was scared but rather all the noise and bumps. Overall it was good though...the air conditioning was great. We even complained a couple times...quietly to ourselves...that it was too cold. Then I remembered how I would be wishing for this air later in the week.

We got to Nikolaev at 6am. Sasha and her husband were there to meet us and take us to our apartment. I had the key from last time so we walked right in like I never left. That was so nice. At 8:15am they picked us up again to start our very long and busy day of paperwork. Sasha already started the process on Friday so she saved a lot of time. She is one very effiecient gal and does her job well. We got Isaiah's birth certificate...went to notary...closed his bank account and donated that money to the orphanage, which all adoptive families are really encouraged to do to help pay for repairs and supplies in the orphanage. There was also paperwork to finish at the orphanage and we also got his passport. This doesn't seem like much but it was...and it was hot...and there was a lot of waiting. But it was worth it...we are done and Sasha is able to go with the rest of her family on their 6 day vacation tomorrow. We also took a big suitcase full of donated clothes, shoes and toys to the orphanage. The clothes had to go to someone who keeps record of all donations. I asked if we could be allowed to give the kids the toys ourselves and they let us. It was such a treat to see how excited they all were.


These two papers are the adoption certificate and birth certificate.




Before one of our stops this morning we had to stop at the orphanage to talk to social worker so while Sasha did that she told us we have 10 minutes to see Isaiah. Austin had been asking ALL morning to go see him. His groupa was playing outside. The nanny saw us coming and she went to Isaiah and picked him up for us. Austin took him and just giggled and giggled. He was so happy and all smiles...Austin that is. Isaiah acted like he always knew him. When we left and drove by their play area the same nanny had picked Isaiah up again and was holding him. I think times like this are bittersweet for them. They cared for these kids all their lives and then one day they are gone. Fortunately for Isaiah he is going to live with a family...not all orphans with disabilities are so lucky. I'm sure it is more sweet than bitter for them though in this case vs. the child being sent to an institution.




Later in the day we went back for the evening visit and we stayed inside with the rest. Most of the kids have a heat rash and no one had this last time. Isaiah's one hand is all sore from him chewing and his chin is rashy too. It looked like they all had haircuts except Isaiah and I was SO happy. I was worried he would be a buzz while I was gone. Nannies kept coming to Isaiah and were talking Russian/Ukrainian. I wish I knew what they were saying. Then one would come get him and sing and dance around. I was crying inside for their happiness and sadness. It was so touching to witness the love they have for the kids.








I was even more touched by what Sasha told me and gave me. Isaiah's birth mom stopped by the orphanage to see Isaiah and me...to say goodbye...but I had already had left to go home. She said that was maybe best then. She had gifts for both Isaiah and Joey! I was shocked. It was 2 bears and 3 outfits, 2 socks and a pair of shoes. It broke my heart as a mother knowing how much she loved/loves this boy I feel she was forced to give up. Even Austin commented on how "she must really care". It does not seem real that I am now the mom to a child born to someone else...now especially to someone else who clearly loves her child. I still do believe he was meant to live with us and be part of our family though. I think it is all such a beautiful thing happening...for what we are getting...for what Isaiah is getting...and for what his birth mom is getting...which I hope is peace and comfort and healing and closure. I pray her and her husband are able to build a strong family as they have a new baby now. They split up sometime after Isaiah was given up.

Tuesday's plan is to go take the bus to the shopping place Darrell and I hung out at. (Don't worry Darrell I won't break the bank...but it could get tempting as I have an empty suitcase I "could" fill up.) We plan on eating lunch at a place Darrell and I planned on but we never made it work. We will then meet some other translator, a friend of Sasha's as she is leaving for vacation, at the orphanage for GOTCHA DAY! We will bring Isaiah to the apartment...pack up...eat supper...and then be picked up by taxi at 6:15pm to head to train station. We will get to Kiev around 6am and either go to hotel or apartment. Don't have that part figured out yet. We need 2 days to finish in Kiev. Isaiah will get a medical exam and then apply for visa.

I'm so pleased and so thankful for how trip #2 has been going. Thanks for all your prayers!!!

7 comments:

  1. Many blessings to your family tomorrow as you begin the last leg of the journey to bring your new son home!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, Jackie, Bailey, Jacob, Carly, Blaise, Anna & Emily (Paul's daughter) are here reading your blog tonight (Tues. Aug.16). We are praising God & praying for you too! May God continue to bless your journey. Tell Austin Bailey says "Hi"!
    Love to you all,
    Jackie & family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jesus:

    Thank you so very much for allowing Steph and Austin to arrive in the Ukraine safely! Thank you for hearing our prayers. Lord we pray for everything to continue to go smoothly this week, and mostly we pray for Steph, Austin and Isaiah's safe return. We are so excited for the day when Isaiah can begin his life with his forever family back here in North Dakota. Lord we pray for Isaiah's Mama to find peace,healing and comfort with the decision she made. May she never doubt the love and amazing family Isaiah will be going to! Lord you are amazing and we thank you for all the many gifts you bestow upon us on a daily basis.

    Amen


    Hugs,

    The Larson's
    Big D, Laura, Alyssa & Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  4. so happy things are working out so quickly!!!
    congrats!
    have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear things are going so well there...praying for you!
    Sounds like its been rough for John and our girls--please keep them in your prayers.
    love,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like everything is going great! And I see sweet 'Miley' in that group of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. iam sooooo excited for you and so glad its all falling into place! isaiah is sooo lucky to have you as his family!

    ReplyDelete