Monday, November 22, 2010

Isaiah's 3 month update.

Today it has been 3 full months since Isaiah was carried through our door and in 2 days it will be one year since we officially committed to him on Reece's Rainbow.

The biggest change since Isaiah has been home has been less time alone for me but I'm totally fine with that as being a mom is my ministry and it continues to make me "die to self" more and more which helps keep me "grounded" from conforming to the world. "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect." Romans 12:2

Isaish is starting to become a little explorer...not so much on his own yet but with his "partner in crime". His favorite person in this house would have to be Joey. They can make each other giggle and giggle and Isaiah loves following him around.

It has been 3 weeks since he got his glasses and what a difference they've made. It was so neat to see him look around when he first got them. I'm sure he felt like he was in a whole new world. His eyes must have been pretty bad as he hardly ever takes them off. He has been braver with trying to walk behind his "walking wagon". Still has a long way to go before walking but every little bit helps. He's been doing good with finger foods and even some baby steps with chewing. I got braver to try different chunkier foods which are nearly impossible to swallow as soon as they enter his mouth. He will choke/gag now and then but I think we need to go through this stage to get to being a good chewer. He still cries/screams after most meals. This habit can take a hike anytime now...3 months is long enough but I have a feeling it isn't going anywhere anytime soon :( He is not a picky eater which is a blessing. I sit between Joey and Isaiah and I have to fight to get Joey to take bites and then turn to Isaiah and fight to make him slow down (well, I'm feeding him but trying to limit his bites to slow him down...he still prefers FAST feeding).

His teeth grinding is a day to day thing...some days I hardly hear him grinding but then the next he grinds all...day...long. The chewing finger/hands habit has gotten much better and he has even cut down on his need for his nuky. Bedtime and naptime are a must though and he will suck his thumb then too. I can handle that. He is a very noisy sleeper as his suck is so loud but he is a good sleeper.

Isaiah is getting more and more into toys but has a long way to go here too. But from how he started out to not even knowing how to hold a toy he has come a LONG way. He loves music and will go pull to stand up by the TV.

He loves people and loves to be held and cuddled. We had a BIG milestone about a week ago...he learned to clap on his own. We worked hard on this and it finally paid off. He is so proud of himself. He knows "So Big" too but won't lift his arms alone but if he is holding our hands he will lift ours up. He is understanding some English obviously like clap, so big, Isaiah, no no, stop...I'm sure he knows way more. Some days he babbles and babbles and then the next not so much. His consonant sounds are beeeeutiiiiiful!!!! I say this because I haven't heard them from Joey since he was one. :( :(

Still trying to figure out his constipation issues. I just can't get a system down to get him going daily but I will not give up. I started putting him on the potty chair as his peditrician thinks he is withholding. Much to my surprise he goes pee almost everytime and even has pooped about 5 times. I really think he was put on a potty chair in the orphanage as he acts like he's been on one before. His stool culture came back really good...NO parasites or anything icky!!! His bad breath has gotten much better too...most days I don't notice anything unless after sleeping or not eating for a while. I read how constipation can cause bad breath and since I brought in the "big dogs" (Joey's old way of enemas) to help break up some major backups things really improved!!!!!

He had his big hearing test last week which turned out good. The health of his ears was awesome. WhooHoo!!! Two kiddos with Down syndrome who both have great ears (at this point) is a huge blessing. Everything tends to be smaller in kids with Ds and many are prone to ear infections and needing tubes. Joey had 1 or 2 infections in his over 5 years of life...not bad.

I painted this shirt when Josh was a baby (19 years ago) and all the boys wore it. It says "My name is not NO NO".
He was just going to clap. By the way, he is standing up against the fridge and balancing really well. It was the first time I did this and will do it more often to help strengthen his legs. This week he has a PT consultation on possibly getting ankle braces or shoe inserts for his weak ankles.
A roll of garbage bags they found in the bathroom.
Isaiah's "partner in crime".

Somedays it is hard to believe that it has been 2 years since I first saw this little boy dressed in pink and now he is crawling around OUR house.

2 comments:

  1. So glad that isaiah is doing so well....love him in the glasses and glad that he is able to see better now. He is precious! Wish we were closer and could get the kiddos together!
    I can't believe its been almost 3 months for us too. Wow! I'm looking forward to getting our kids' vision etc checked now that we are more settled. Keep up the good work and I understand about the less time for yourself thing...makes you realize even more how much you need the Lord's grace and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Genesis. I've been reading your blog and my family is adopting 2 boys with down syndrome. I am making a slide show of children with down syndrome for Down Syndrome Awarness, and was wondering if I could use a photo of little Isaiah :)

    ReplyDelete